As the adage goes, “An Apple a day keeps the doctor away.” All of us relish apples, don’t we? The juicy, crunchy, freshness does a lot to put away your cravings for unnecessary junk. Always consumer wax-free, organic apples for best results. Here’s how apples are good for your body.
Why are apples coated with wax?
Farmers coat a small amount of wax like shellac to maintain moisture and improve shelf life. This is since most of the natural wax present in apples gets washed away when it is cleaned while picking. In fact, the US Food and Drug Administration allows farmers to coat a limited amount of edible wax such as carnauba and beeswax to let them stay fresh longer.
However, the best apples should be pure, free of wax to avoid respiratory and digestive tract issues. Waxed apples also become tasteless and soggy at times. Hence for the above reasons, it is recommended that you wash away the wax polish and consume your favorite fruit.
Easy ways to remove wax from apples
Method 1 – Hot water
- Dip the apples in hot water for a few seconds
- Then rub it with a dry rough towel.
- You could again wash it in running water to fully remove the wax.
Method 2 – Baking Soda and lemon juice
- One gallon water
- One tablespoon lime juice
- One tablespoon baking soda
- In a gallon of water, mix the lime juice and baking soda and dip each apple for a few seconds.
- Scrub lightly using a vegetable brush and watch the wax coming off completely.
- Rinse well with water.
Method 3 – Vinegar/ Apple cider vinegar
- You could also use vinegar in place of the above mixture to clean the apples.
- Dip a towel into the vinegar and wipe the apple.
- Scrub, wipe with a clean towel and rinse well with water before consuming.
Method 4 – Vodka
- All you vodka lovers out there, rejoice! Wipe off the wax using vodka, and rinse it well with water to remove the distinct taste of vodka before consuming.
Method 5 –Remove the peel
- If everything else goes wrong, this is the last method you can resort to!
- Just peel the apple and eat away the flesh. However, remember that all the nutrients lie in the skin.
At the end of the day, just remember to wash your apple several times in water and consume them. Once you remove the polish, this healthy fruit will surely work wonders on your body.